A couch is not only the focal furniture piece of your lounge, but the go-to spot for you to kick back and relax, watch a bit of telly, read a novel or chat to friends and family. If you’re in the market for a new couch, you may be pondering whether to buy a fabric or leather couch…let’s break it down, and help make the decision easier…
Why Should I Buy a Fabric Couch?
There are many compelling reasons to buy an upholstered couch, including:
- Your budget – A fabric couch can be easier on the pocket, but always invest in the best quality upholstery fabric you can afford! High quality fabrics are more durable, and are more fade and stain-resistant. Choosing cheaper fabrics can prove to be the penny-wise, pound-foolish approach – less hard-wearing, you may end up spending money on re-covering your lounge suite sooner than expected.
- You have options – you’re spoilt for choice when it comes to fabric types, colours and patterns!
- Your kids or pets – Do you have small children or inside pets? You’ll definitely want to take them into consideration when choosing a couch! Go for dark fabrics, and those which are easy-to-clean. Do ask your furniture manufacturers if they can Scotchguard™ the fabric so that it more easily repels water, dirt and stains..
- Easy cleaning – For fabric that’s Scotchgard™ treated – a sponge, soap, and some gentle elbow grease should get rid of any spills or marks. For stubborn stains – use a steam cleaner. Then, there’s slip-cover couches – a godsend for parents of babies and fur-babies, alike…simply remove covers and pop into the washing machine.
- Comfort – Nothing like sinking into a couch covered in soft, plush fabric, especially in chilly winter weather!
Why Should I Buy a Leather Couch?
Leather couches, too, have their selling points:
- Unparalleled luxury – Got a few more rands to spend? While genuine leather couches can come with higher price tags, they certainly lend a sense of style of luxury to any home.
- Leather’s durable – Properly cared for, leather ages beautifully with time. Remember, too, that leather couches are also available in a range of colours – from classic black and brown to racy red.
- It’s hyper-allergenic – it’s the best choice for allergy sufferers!
- Leather is low-maintenance, if treated correctly – it’s less likely to collect dust, grime and pet hair than fabric couches. To clean, simply give it a light dust and vacuum occasionally and for spills or dirt, a simple wipe down with a soft cloth and a solution of water and white vinegar. Also, condition the leather with leather conditioning cream at least once a year to protect it and keep it looking good.
Whatever your decision Leisure lounge has a couch to suit your taste, budget and lifestyle. We manufacture top quality and custom-made genuine leather and fabric upholstered furniture and we’re also approved Scotchgard™ agents – ensuring that your furniture always looks its best. Contact us today!